A few weeks ago I posted a cocktail recipe with blood orange, and have been keeping them around sever since. I love how tart they are, and the colour is absolutely gorgeous! I’m definitely going to be a bit sad when they are no longer in-season. At least I will appreciate them all the more the next time.
This cocktail definitely has quite a bit of orange, but I think hit just the right balance of sweet and sour, just like its namesake. This recipe will taste the best if you use blood oranges, but if you can’t find them, you could always use blood orange juice already-squeezed, plus one regular orange. It will be sweeter if you use regular orange, so make note and adjust the other ingredients accordingly.
• 1.5 oz blood orange juice
• 2 wedges blood range peel (I slice these off of the fruit that I’ve squeezed)
• .5oz cointreau
• .5oz simple syrup (or less)
• 2 oz vodka (orange-fused optional, but nice)
• 1-2 dashes orange bitters
- squeeze blood oranges (1 should give you just about 1.5oz), and set aside
- combine orange peel, and cointreau int he bottom of a shaker, and muddle for at least 30 seconds, but the longer the better
- add the rest of the ingredients into a shaker, cover with ice, and shake vigorously
- strain into a glass and garnish with, what else, a wheel of blood orange
Cheers! And have a lovely weekend!